Pages

Tuesday 21 May 2019

morning routine

every day, somehow,
I wake up,
drag myself in front of the bathroom mirror
to wash my teeth,
and as I carefully apply the toothpaste,
I dare a few glances at the man opposite me.

the man who could have been anything,
but only reached up to here.
I usually try to not think about him;
he responds in kind.

I open the cupboard on the mirror's side
for some floss, an earbud, the nail clipper, the sunscreen lotion,
and I see that shelf again,
the shelf with all the useless stuff,
the lens fluid, the hairbands, the tampons
- your shelf.

I wonder if I should do something about it.
if I should let you know
it's still your shelf,
in the same way
that you are still yourself.

I dare one final glance
at the stranger in the mirror
and close the cupboard.

another day has begun.











______



Creative Commons License
morning routine by Dimitrios Kokkinos is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

No comments:

Post a Comment